CN Freight Train - 16th St. Chicago

  Contact RRT | Misc. | Locks | Keys | Home | Lanterns | Picture Gallery | Payment  

"a website for the railroad enthusiast"

All Key Sales are Final
Front Side: Tazewell & Peoria Railroad Back Side: Tazewell & Peoria Railroad TZPR R.R. Flag

Tazewell & Peoria Railroad

SOLD     Price: $75.00

Remarks: ca. 2004. Keyline forged.
Superb block lettering and gold patina. line.

History

The Tazewell & Peoria Railroad (reporting mark TZPR) (November 1, 2004-Present) is a short-line railroad, running entirely in Peoria County and Tazewell County, Illinois, and formed by Genesee & Wyoming Inc. to lease the assets of the century-old Peoria & Pekin Union Railway (P&PU), which is owned by Union Pacific, Norfolk Southern and Canadian National. It switches close to 100,000 cars per year and has about 142 miles of track.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Tennessee Central Railway Back Side: Tennessee Central Railway TC R.R. Flag    TC R.R.

Tennessee Central Railway

SOLD     Price: $50.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Serif lettering and rustic style patina.

History

The Tennessee Central Railway was founded in 1884 as the Nashville and Knoxville Railroad by Alexander S. Crawford. It was an attempt to open up a rail route from the coal and minerals of East Tennessee to the markets of the midstate, a service which many businessmen felt was not being adequately provided by the existing railroad companies. They also wanted to ship coal and iron ore to the Northeastern US over the Cincinnati Southern Railway, which was leased to the Southern and operated as the Cincinnati-New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railway (CNOTP), through their Cincinnati gateway. The N&K was only completed between Lebanon, where it connected to a Nashville-Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway branch from Nashville, and Standing Stone (now Monterey).

In 1957 the TVA began awarding contracts to non-TC coal mine operators and their traffic boom went bust. The Western Division from the western end of the I-440 right of way in Nashville to Hopkinsville, KY was purchased by the Illinois Central Railroad. The eastern end of the line from Harriman to the siding just west of Crossville went to the Southern Railway. The remaining middle portion from Crossville to Nashville went to its old and not at all friendly rival, the Louisville & Nashville.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Tennessee Coal-Iron & Railroad Company Back Side: Tennessee Coal-Iron & Railroad Company TCI R.R.

Tennessee Coal-Iron & Railroad Company

Item: 5-T     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Nice pocket worn block lettering. Great gold patina.
A blast out of the past!

History

The Tennessee Coal-Iron and Railroad Company (1852-1952), also known as TCI and the Tennessee Company, was a major American steel manufacturer with interests in coal and iron ore mining and railroad operations. Originally based entirely within Tennessee, it relocated most of its business to Alabama in the late nineteenth century. With a sizable real estate portfolio, the company owned several Birmingham satellite towns, including Ensley, Fairfield, Docena, Edgewater and Bayview.

At one time the second largest steel producer in the USA, TCI was listed on the first Dow Jones Industrial Average in 1896. However, in 1907, the company was merged with its principal rival, the United States Steel Corporation. The Tennessee Coal, Iron and Railroad Company was subsequently operated as a subsidiary of U. S. Steel for 45 years until it became a division of its parent company in 1952.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Tennessee Railroad Back Side: Tennessee Railroad Southern R.R. Flag

Tennessee Railway

Item: 6-T     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Elongated barrel.
Superb serif lettering and gold patina.

History

In 1905, Samuel Spencer, then also the president of the Southern Railway, purchased the Paint Rock Coal & Coke Company Railroad and reorganized it as the Tennessee Railway. In 1906 he extended the railroad to the sawmill town of Norma. After the death of Samuel Spencer in 1907, his son H. B. Spencer, took over as president of the railroad. By 1910, he had extended the railroad to Newlands, 5-1/2 miles south of Smoky Junction.

The Tennessee Railway Company was in the hands of receivers July 1, 1913 until June 30, 1918. In 1918, the railroad was reorganized as the
Tennessee Railroad Company. It again entered receivership on July 1, 1959, still with a Spencer at the company president level.

The line was acquired by the Southern Railway Company on February 20, 1973.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Texas & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Texas & Pacific Railroad T&P R.R. Flag

Texas & Pacific Railroad

Item: 7-T     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering carmel patina.

History

The Texas & Pacific Railway Company was created by federal charter in 1871, with the purpose of building a southern transcontinental railroad between Marshall, Texas, and San Diego, California. Construction difficulties delayed westward progress, until American financier Jay Gould acquired an interest in the railroad in 1879. The T&P never reached San Diego; instead it met the Southern Pacific at Sierra Blanca, Texas, in 1881.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Texas & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Texas & Pacific Railroad T&P advertisement    T&P No.715

Texas & Pacific Railroad

Item: 8-T     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Nice block lettering and gold patina.

History - continued from above

The T&P had a significant foothold in Texas by the mid-1880s. The Missouri Pacific Railroad, also controlled by Gould, leased the T&P from 1881 to 1885 and continued a cooperative relationship with the T&P after the lease ended. Missouri Pacific gained majority ownership of the Texas & Pacific Railway's stock in 1928 but allowed it to continue operation as a separate entity until they were eventually merged on October 15, 1976. On January 8, 1980, the Missouri Pacific Railroad was purchased by the Union Pacific Railroad. Because of lawsuits filed by competing railroads, the merger was not approved until September 13, 1982. However, due to outstanding bonds of the Missouri Pacific, the actual merger with the Union Pacific Railroad took place on January 1, 1997.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Texas & Pacific Railroad Back Side: Texas & Pacific Railroad T&P crew

Texas & Pacific Railroad

Item: 9-T     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Slaymaker forged.
Superb serif lettering carmel patina. Tex-Mex style cut.

History - continued from above

Several reminders of the Texas & Pacific remain to this day, mainly two towering buildings which help define the southern side of Fort Worth's skyline, the original station and office tower and a warehouse located immediately to the west. In 2001, the passenger platforms at the T&P station were put into use for the first time in decades as the westernmost terminus for the Trinity Railway Express, a commuter rail line connecting Fort Worth and Dallas. The warehouse still exists but there are plans to renovate it. The passenger terminal and corporate offices have been converted into luxury condominiums.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Texas South-Eastern Railroad Back Side: Texas South-Eastern Railroad TSE R.R. Flag

Texas South-Eastern Railroad

Item: 10-T     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Superb block lettering and patina.

History

The Texas South-Eastern is one of three short line railroads remaining from the boom period of the East Texas lumber industry. This can be attributed to the policy of the parent organization, now Temple-Inland, Incorporated, which practiced sustained cutting of timber and to the development of ancillary industries at Diboll. In addition, the railroad also serves various industries at Lufkin.

Its principal traffic has always been lumber and forest products, but daily for more than forty years it also ran a
mixed train known affectionately as either "Take it Slow and Easy" or "Tattered, Shattered, and Expired."

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Terminal Railroad Association Back Side: Terminal Railroad Association TRRA R.R. Flag

Terminal Railroad Association

Item: 14-T     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Forged by the M.M.Buck & Co.
Handsome tapered barrel. Superb serif lettering and gold patina.
Chartered in 1889 and still in operation.

History

The railroad's predecessor companies in St. Louis date to 1797 when St. Louis was still part of Spanish Upper Louisiana. James Piggott was granted a license to operate a ferry between St. Louis and Illinoistown (now East St. Louis). Piggott's heirs sold the ferry to Samuel Wiggins in 1819. Wiggins bought 800 acres in East St. Louis including Bloody Island. Wiggins used a team of eight horses to propel the ferries. In 1828 he began steam-power ferry service across the river. In 1832 Wiggins sold his company and the new owners called the new company the Wiggins Ferry Service which would develop the Wiggins property as a rail yard. In 1870 the ferry began porting rail cars across the river one car at a time until the construction of the Eads Bridge.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis Back Side: Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis EMD engines No.2611 & No.2000

Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis

Item: 15-T     Price: $20.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Ex-fine pocket wear and superb gold patina. Different style cut
than TRRA key listed below. Both key styles listed in the
"American Railway's Switch Key Directory."
Smoothest pocket worn key I've ever seen. Nice spare!

History - continued from above

The Association built Union Station. It owns the Merchants Bridge and MacArthur Bridge, the latter which it received in 1989 in a swap with the City of St. Louis in exchange of title for the Eads Bridge. In the early years the Association was at odds with the St. Louis Merchants Exchange. The Exchange built the Eads Bridge but lost control to the Terminal Railroad. The Exchange then built the Merchants Bridge to keep the Terminal Railroad from having a monopoly. The Exchange then lost control of that bridge also to the Terminal Railroad. The railroad's practice of charging a tariff to coal trains crossing the Mississippi River would result in several industries locating in Illinois rather than Missouri. The steelmaking town of Granite City, Illinois was founded to avoid the tariffs.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis Back Side: Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis TRRA R.R. Flag

Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis

Item: 16-T     Price: $85.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Fine pocket wear and nice gold patina. Different style cut
than two TRRA keys listed above. Both key styles listed in the
"American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

History - See 14-T

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Thompson Run Branch Back Side: Thompson Run Branch P&WV R.R. Flag

Thompson Run Branch

Item: 17-T     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Unique star stamp.
Superb serif lettering and two-tone patina.
A branch line of the P&WV R.R. Nice key relic!

History

On June 22, 1916, the Lewis Run Railway Company was organized to build two miles of track from the Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway's Thompson Run Branch at Mifflin Yard southward to the Montour No. 8 Mine in Pleasant Hills along today's Route 51. The Lewis Run Railway Company was merged into the Montour Railroad on June 17, 1917 and became the Montour Railroad Lewis Run Branch. The tracks to Montour No. 8 Mine were completed in 1918.

The Thompson Run branch, extends from Longview, Pa., on the West Side Belt, to a point of connection with the Union Railroad at Mifflin Junction, Pa., a distance of about 3 1/2 miles. The West Side Belt connects with the Pittsburg & Lake Erie Railroad at west end Pittsburg, Pa., where, through the intermediary of the Thompson Run Branch, it reaches the Union Railroad; with the Montour Railroad, a coal road, at Longview, Pa., with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, at Bruceton, Pa.; with the St. Clair Terminal Railroad, a so-called plant facility road affiliated with the Clairton Steel Company.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Toledo-Fostoria & Findlay Railway Back Side: Toledo-Fostoria & Findlay Railway TF&F trolley car No.17

Toledo-Fostoria & Findlay Railway

Item: 18-T     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Fraim forged.
Superb serif lettering and copper patina. A rarity! Nice.

History

Interurban lines arrived in Fostoria around 1900 and ran until around 1930. The Toledo-Fostoria & Findlay Railway Company ran between these cities.
This company purchased the Tiffin-Fostoria & Eastern Railway Company, which opened an interurban line to Tiffin and Fremont.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Toledo & Indiana Railroad Back Side: Toledo & Indiana Railroad The Toledo & Indiana Railway        Toledo Beach line

Toledo & Indiana Railway

Item: 19-T     Price: $125.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by E.J. Brooks Co.
Nice block lettering and superb patina. A very early T&I key.
Low serial number and unique foundry name.

History

The Toledo & Indiana Railway Company was incorporated in 1901 to construct an electric interurban rail line westward from Toledo. The T&I was envisioned as part of an interurban network to connect Toledo-Indianapolis & Chicago. The Toledo & Indiana Railway's interurban cars were similar to trolleys, with their electric motors powered through an arm or "kite" extending from the top of the car to an overhead power line.

The Toledo & Indiana's route paralleled today's Norfolk Southern line between Toledo and Bryan, but the interurban cars provided more convenient schedules, more passenger stops, and were less expensive than passenger service on the "steam" railroad. These advantages, coupled with the fact that automobiles were still uncommon and roads unimproved, made the T&I an attractive option for travelers

As highways and secondary roads improved, and automobiles and trucks became more common, interurban railways struggled financially. On October 15, 1939,
Toledo & Indiana Railway car No.115 made the last trip over the rail line piloted by Lendall W. Vernier of Stryker, the company's most senior motorman.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad Back Side: Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad T&OC yard crew

Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad

Item: 20-T     Price: $95.00

Remarks: ca. early-mid 1900's. Forged by the W. Bohannan Co.
Superb block lettering and silver patina. Nice relic!

History

The Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad was chartered in 1885. The T&OC had two primary branches, an Eastern and a Western, which ran from Toledo to Thurston Ohio. The Western Branch ran through Columbus. In Thurston the branches combined and continued Southeasterly through Ohio to Coal Mines beyond Charleston, W. Va. There were also variousother branch lines and the main line through Charleston, W. Va. T&OC and affiliated lines were controlled at different times by the Hocking Valley Railway and by the New York Central System. History is hazy at this point in time. The same year I was born 1952, the railroad ceased operations. When exactly, the new owner's, put the T&OC's operation back in service, is unclear. Rail service continues today on almost all of the Western Branch.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Toledo-St. Louis & Kansas City Railroad Back Side: Toledo-St. Louis & Kansas City Railroad TSTL&KC engine & crew     TStL&W R.R. Flag     TSTL&KC engine    

Toledo-St. Louis & Kansas City Railroad

Item: 21-T     Price: $245.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's- very early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Daddy to Toledo-St. Louis & Western Railroad. Elongated barrel.
Attractive block lettering and gold patina.
Original "Cloverleaf Railroad." Great looking oldie!

History

The Toledo-East Saint Louis line became the Toledo-Saint Louis & Kansas City Railroad, adopting the "Cloverleaf" as its emblem. The line was converted to standard gauge in the late 1880s. By 1893, the company went into bankruptcy, and emerged as the Toledo-Saint Louis & Western Railroad. The company lasted until 1922, when it was purchased by the Nickel Plate Road (NKP). It subsequently became the "Cloverleaf Division," and finally provided the connection to Saint Louis for the NKP, which was the original intent upon its formation.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Toledo-Peoria & Western Railroad Back Side: Toledo-Peoria & Western Railroad TP&W R.R. Flag

Toledo-Peoria & Western Railway

SOLD     Price: $135.00

Remarks: ca. late 1800's-early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Superb block lettering and dark patina.
Different style cut then TP&W key below.
Key listed in the "American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

History

The Toledo-Peoria & Western Railway (TPW) is a short line railroad that operates 247 miles of track from Mapleton, Illinois, through Peoria across Illinois to Logansport, Indiana, and includes a branch line between Logansport to Winamac, Indiana. TP&W has trackage rights between Galesburg, Illinois, and Peoria, between Logansport and Kokomo, Indiana, and between Reynolds, Indiana, and Lafayette, Indiana. TPW has connections with UP, BNSF, NS, CSXT, CN, CP, CERA, CIM, KBSR and T&P. The railroad is now owned by Genesee & Wyoming Inc.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Toledo-Peoria & Western Railroad Back Side: Toledo-Peoria & Western Railroad TP&W R.R. Flag

Toledo-Peoria & Western Railway

Item: 23-T     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Ex-fine pocket wear. Nice block lettering and gold patina.
Different style cut then TP&W key above.
Key listed in the "American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

History - continued from above

Today, under new ownership, the TP&W Railway is a short-line railroad that operates from Mapleton, IL
through Peoria, IL, and on to Logansport, IN with trackage rights in other areas of Indiana and Illinois.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Toledo-St. Louis & Western Railroad Back Side: Toledo-St. Louis & Western Railroad TStL&W R.R. Flag

Toledo-St. Louis & Western Railroad

Item: 24-T     Price: $175.00

Remarks: Operated 1881-1922. Forged by the Slaymaker Co.
Superb serif lettering and patina. Nice relic!
Key listed in the "American Railway's Switch Key Directory."

History

Commonly known as the "Clover Leaf," the TStL&W was a railroad company that operated in northwestern Ohio,
north central Indiana, and south central Illinois during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The TStL&W originated with the Toledo-Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad, a company formed in February 1881 as a consolidation of several smaller, 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge lines connecting the Ohio cities of Toledo and Cincinnati with St. Louis, Missouri. Soon in financial difficulties, the company dropped its Cincinnati arm and reorganized in June 1886 as the Toledo-St. Louis & Kansas City Railroad and over the next two to three years converted its lines to 4 ft 8 1/2 in.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Toledo-St. Louis & Western Railroad Back Side: Toledo-St. Louis & Western Railroad How the West was Won    Movie poster    How the West was Won

Toledo-St. Louis & Western Railroad

Item: 25-T     Price: $85.00

Remarks: Operated 1881-1922. Forged by the Slaymaker Co.
Attractive serif lettering and rustic two-tone patina.

History - continued from above

The Clover Leaf became part of the larger New York-Chicago & St. Louis Railroad (the Nickel Plate),
on December 28, 1922, which eventually became part of Norfolk Southern.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Toledo Terminal Railroad Back Side: Toledo Terminal Railroad TT R.R. Flag

Toledo Terminal Railroad

Item: 28-T     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Dark lettering and fine pocket wear. Superb carmel patina.

History

Toledo Terminal Railroad was a railway company in the U.S. state of Ohio. Primarily a switching railroad, it made a complete loop around the city of Toledo, crossing the Maumee River twice. Currently, Toledo is served by CSX Transportation Co., Norfolk Southern Railroad, the Ann Arbor Railroad and the Canadian National Railroad.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Toledo Terminal Railroad Back Side: Toledo Terminal Railroad Toledo Union Station

Toledo Terminal Railroad

Item: 29-T     Price: $45.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Dark lettering and fine pocket wear. Superb carmel patina.

History - See

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Toledo Terminal Railroad Back Side: Toledo Terminal Railroad National Train Day, Toledo OH

Toledo Terminal Railroad

Item: 30-T     Price: $25.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Forged by the Adlake Co.
Dark lettering and fine pocket wear. Superb carmel patina.

History - See

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Toronto-Hamilton & Buffalo Railroad Back Side: Toronto-Hamilton & Buffalo Railroad TH&B R.R. Flag

Toronto-Hamilton & Buffalo Railway

Item: 31-T     Price: $65.00

Remarks: ca. early 1900's. Forged by the A&W Co.
Attractive block lettering and patina. Fine pocket wear.

History

It began operations in 1892, when it took over the incomplete line of the Brantford-Waterloo & Lake Erie Railway between Brantford and Waterford. The line reached Hamilton in October, 1894 and Welland on December 30, 1895. In 1895, the Canadian Pacific Railway and the New York Central Railroad bought the TH&B.

The TH&B was jointly owned by the CPR and the NYC for several decades. NYC and its subsidiaries; Michigan Central Railroad and Canada Southern Railway owned 73%, while the CPR owned the other 27%. It never built into Toronto or Buffalo, but used its parent companies' trackage to reach the two cities. Passenger service on the TH&B was discontinued on April 26, 1981. In 1977, CP Rail acquired NYC's portion (at that point part of the bankrupt Penn Central giving the CPR 90% ownership and destined not to be included in Conrail) which held a 10% ownership, The CPR merged the TH&B into its system in 1987. While the TH&B line between Hamilton and Welland is still in use, its former line west of Hamilton to Waterford via Brantford has been abandoned past Aberdeen Avenue in Hamilton. The portion between Hamilton and Brantford was abandoned in the 1990s after trackage next to the Grand River was washed out. Some former TH&B industrial trackage still remains in the city of Brantford, although it is now operated by Canadian National Railway.

Click on image to view larger picture



Front Side: Tennessee Valley Authority Back Side: Tennessee Valley Authority TVA R.R. Flag

Tennessee Valley Authority Railroad

Item: 32-T     Price: $55.00

Remarks: ca. mid 1900's. Short barrel.
Nice serif lettering and dark patina.

History

The Tennessee Valley Authority (T.V.A.) is a federally owned corporation in the United States created by congressional charter in May 1933 to provide navigation, flood control, electricity generation, fertilizer manufacturing, and economic development in the Tennessee Valley, a region particularly affected by the Great Depression. The enterprise was a result of the efforts of Senator George W. Norris of Nebraska. TVA was envisioned not only as a provider, but also as a regional economic development agency that would use federal experts and electricity to rapidly modernize the region's economy and society.

This government sponsered line basically hauled coal out of the Tennessee mines that powered the dams. Established in the 1930's it's exsistence as a railroad and when it came to end is unclear.

Click on image to view larger picture



Dates quoted for keys are approximate dates. Railroad switch keys initials (reporting mark) are assumed to be correct and accurate.
Comments on any railroad initials origin, including (typos), are welcome. Last update 01/30/2018

Top

contact webmaster